Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Herik and the fall harvest

Lately the weather has been changing. I love the fall when the sun dips lower on the horizon, the air becomes crisp, the sky takes on an impossible shade of blue and the fruits of the summer's labor are all just at their peak. My landlady Herik everyday has been out in the garden gathering the last of the tomatoes, eggplants, cucumbers, peppers and beans. The sound of the gas roaring on the patio and the large pot of water in a boil filled to the brim with jars upon jars of the fall bounty are music to my ears.

She always complains that the work is so hard, but I can see in her eyes that this time of year she, like me, treasures most. It is still sunny enough to sit out in the evenings and talk. There is still work to keep her busy and out of the house for most of the day, and the light is just perfect!

Though Herik is just a small woman I am constantly impressed at the amount of work she can do every day. When I am just getting up in the morning I can already hear the sweep of her broom on my doorstep and she is muttering to herself, "Emily, Emily, Emily, you keep you place so dirty."

Herik and Samvel were married later that most Armenian couples. Samvel had been married before and had two children from that marriage. Herik and Samvel were married when they were both 30 and had two more children, Artush and Geretsik. They met when they were both working in a textiles factory during soviet times. Herik said the first time she saw Samvel, she fell in love. I notice that these two are still very much in love. Whenever Samvel is working on something outside, Herik brings whatever she is working and will sit next to him. I appreciate their dedication to each other and the respect they have for each other.

No comments: