Friday, March 19, 2010

Emma Yepremyan

Emma Yepremyan, 73 years old

Emma is Sona Vanyan’s mother-in-law. When she tells us about her son’s death at the age of 30, she has still tears in her eyes, 18 years later.
She cannot see very well, she says, “The world is cloudy to me.”
With patience is she sitting on her bed and waiting until we have the right picture. She smiles and tells us openly about their life. She is originally from Getap village, married a man from the same village and has stayed there her whole life. Everybody in the village knows her and appreciates her open-minded, friendly character.


We ask her what was new and what she did during the day, she says, “What can I do? I just sit here.” She is the personification of quietness and enjoys having younger people around.
Later on she is standing in front of the mirror, watching herself and gazing out the window. After some minutes the others ask her what she was doing, knowing that Emma cannot see very well, “I’m just looking,” answers Emma sunken in her thoughts.

1 comment:

Krista Larson said...

This reminds me of Ila. I can't even begin to imagine a life without my vision!!